Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Research time

One thing I have learned from being here at Georgia Southern is that you have to learn how to research a topic and be able to sift through to find the factual information. When I get an assignment I take certain steps to obtaining the information I need to complete the assignment. First, I start off by typing the topic in the search bar of google. I like to read a few different articles just to get an idea of other people's views and to attempt to see where I stand. Then, I will go to YouTube and see what kind of videos I can watch introducing my topic. After that I usually go to the websites such as GALILEO, EBSCO, and other informational based search sites. From the start I open up a word document and keep something like an annotated bibliography going so that I can continue to go back and look at the sites I need and information that I need.

Sifting through the web can be extremely difficult. Some websites are filled with actual information and others are filled with someone else's opinion. In college you have to learn how to learn the difference from the two which can be difficult. Sticking with websites that end with '.edu' or '.gov' you will never get led on the wrong path because those websites come from the government. Therefore you know those websites are filled strictly with facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment